Background

Monday 1 August 2011

How I intoduced regular bible study to my children

I have always thought it a good thing to be able to start the day with reading the bible or time alone with God. Who wouldn't love to brave the day knowing he/she was already grounded in God's word or His Spirit? Would our behaviour be different? Would our thoughts be different? Would our day turn out differently? For me, the answer is yes. But it isn't easy, and I know for some people this is not the right time of the day for them. Westley for example, is not a morning person. His best time with God is in the evening, when it is dark and he can be outside, alone.

As a parent educator, I am often thinking about the habits I can teach my children, while they are young, so they can each be the best person they can be when they are adults. It is important to me that they have a personal relationship with the Lord, and I want to help them the best way I can. So I have started mini-bible studies with Sunshine and Sweet-pea. They have been responding well and by doing it in the morning, each day feels like a success. It is working for now. It may not always work and there may be interruptions from time to time, but I hope to continue with it as long as it is still working for us. So if you are wondering, this is what I do...

PREPARATION
  • I read the paragraph sometime before I sit down with the children, so I am prepared for translating into a language they understand.
METHOD
In the morning not long after we wake up...
  • I give them a 5-10 minute warning that we are about to do our bible reading together.
  • I make a cup of tea.
  • I get the beanbags out ready for them to sit on, and I sit down in my reading seat.
  • I ask the girls to join me, Harrison has a beanbag too, but he is free to come and go as he pleases.
  • We recap on the highlights of the previous day (or two if required) to set the scene for the new reading.
  • I tell them I am going to read the scripture (about a paragraph, or theme - you know how chapters are split up under headings - I just kind of pick one of those chunks under a heading).
  • I read it to them from my bible, the New King James version.
  • I explain in language they understand the main points that happened.
  • I ask them a few questions to check they listened to me.
  • Now the fun part - drawing! I ask them to draw something from the story. I will usually ask Sunshine to write something too, which is me telling her the letters to write. 
  • Then they get to show Daddy their awesome work and feel totally proud of the great job they did.
We have started with Luke, as I know my girls are excited by and a bit familiar with Jesus's birth so I thought it would increase their interest. So far so good, they ask me about it on the weekend because I haven't been doing it on weekends so I think that is a good sign :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...