Background

Friday 12 October 2012

Do you want to know what I'm excited about?

Handwriting! ...and teaching cursive handwriting to my children. ...and maybe even to me?!

I initially downloaded the Victorian cursive font from our state government education department's website and was making worksheets for my children to copy and learn. I liked the new way they were teaching letters such as b which was more like the old loopy version they taught like 50 years ago than the ugly 'modern' cursive I was taught. I have nice handwriting, but I spent time making it neat and pretty, but I would love to have gorgeous handwriting. So we have been working off my personally made worksheets but I wasn't happy with the progress and I realised, "hey, I'm homeschooling, I don't have to do things like everyone else who is at school in my state".

Enter Handwriting Without Tears curriculum. It is not expensive (yay!) and will ultimately teach a gorgeous cursive style that in time, my daughters will love to scrawl notes to their husbands in and my son will love to write loving notes to his wife in. And maybe, my husband will one day love to receive notes from me in ;) ... So I ordered two books to get cracking in. I'm excited that I will have something that my children can pick up each day and work in without me having to do any prework. It is sorted, tested and should work. So, hopefully the children love it too. Will be kind of annoying if they don't ;)

One downside was the cost. Shipping from the US is expensive! Frustrating that things cost so much to post to us here in little Oz...

2 comments:

  1. Cursive writing is a strange thing. My brother and I have completely different handwriting, even though we went to the same school and were only a year apart, because they introduced a new style the year he started learning. It's amazing how different it makes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Kellie, it is such a strange thing. I write completely different to my siblings too, although they are at least 5+ years older than me. I am really keen to see how my kiddos handwriting will differ when I am overseeing all of them. Thanks for your comment! :) Naomi

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...