Background

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Baking with coconut flour

I came across Elana Amsterdam's cookbooks sometime last year. Since trying to eat Paleo, I have really struggled with accommodating my love for eating cakes and anything else baked! First I had to locate a retailer who actually stocks coconut flour. Not easy - Australia's supermarkets are not very advanced with stocking coconut flour and almond flour (almond flour is almost impossible to find, only almond meal which is not the same). Probably about this time last year I found a store that sold coconut flour, and have been busting to get to real baking since. I have tried a lot... and ruined a lot... so when I came across Elana's webpage I got very excited. Her food actually looks like the yummy treats I've been wanting for me and my family. So, I eventually managed to bite the bullet and order her book Gluten-free Cupcakes from Amazon. After then waiting within days of 2 months for it to be delivered (a story for another day!), I finally received it!



Here is what I learnt from the early pages of Elana's book on baking with coconut flour, prior to attempting  recipe:
  • Follow the recipe instructions. When she says to use a hand mixer, use a hand mixer, and when she says to mix by hand, mix by hand.
  • Ensure the batter is mixed thoroughly with no lumps but be very careful not to over mix.
  • Do not open the oven until the minimum time has been reached.
  • Allow the cupcakes to cool in the baking tin for an hour after removing from oven (not on a wire rack).
  • Coconut flour batters are more runny than a normal wheat flour batter.
  • Load the cup measurements by dipping and then scraping the top. Otherwise you risk getting less flour than required.
  • Use large eggs.
  • If you need to make more, don't double the recipe, but make 2 separate batchess.
Sounds basic, but these are all mistakes I would regularly make in baking! So for the first time since I was a child I followed this recipe to the line, with two exceptions:
  1. Agave nectar. I am yet to find an Australian store to stock it, so I used honey.
  2. Grape seed oil. It is not an ideal oil in Paleo due to changes in it's oxidation when at high temperatures and it happens to be expensive so I am experimenting by using light olive oil. If it works I will just use that instead.
The batter tasted yummy - I don't normally get into the batter, but this was good. Nice level of sweetness, and actually resembled a batter consistency.

9 little cupcakes waiting for the oven
Finished product
I decided not to frost this time around. I wanted to test the quality of the cake itself. Sunshine, Sweet-pea and I just cracked into them and there were lots of "oh my goodness"'s and "ohhhhhhh"'s and "yuuuuumm"'s and then Sunshine said "Mum, you should make these all the time". BINGO! That is the response I wanted.



The texture was light and so wheat-like, I can't believe it is actually healthy and completely grain-free. The honey made it a rich sweetness, but perfectly delightful. I'm so impressed with this cook book. Can't wait to do the full deal with frosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...