Background

Thursday 15 November 2012

A maths leson out-and-about

I was caught out recently. We needed to go out to the shops which of course then led to a trip to the coffee shop. I usually take a book but we left it in the car by accident. So I was wondering what I could do or talk about to take advantage of the opportunity to be sitting down together with Sunshine's full attention. Then Sunshine and Sweet-pea on their own started counting the tables in the shop, which led me to asking them a string of real-life maths problems for them to solve. Ahah! maths, what a good topic. Across the counter was a row of 21 thermos cups, perfect for adding and subtracting. Here is a list of what I remember asking them.

  • How many tables are free?
  • If some customers came in and sat down at one of the tables, how many would be left?
  • How many thermos cups are lined up on the counter?
  • How many of each colour?
  • If a customer came in and bought 5, how many are left?
  • If another customer came in after that and bought 4, how many are left?
  • Can you count backwards from 20?
  • Can you count just with even numbers?
  • How about counting in 10s, can you count in 10s?

I just love it when I figure out ways of teaching that aren't planned and instead just flow naturally out of our daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...